The goal: to bring together a team of award winning Florida chalk artists to bring the iconic painting “George Washington Crossing the Delaware” to life on the pavement at this international chalk festival honoring veterans. Team George was born.
- 3 main artists – Jennifer Chaparro, Beth Shistle & Janet Tombros (All members of the International Street Painting Society and the Florida Chalk Artists Association)
- 4 assistants – BK Lyons, Glen Caristinos, Lester Mendoza & Craig Thomas
- 2 days - Originally we had 3 days, but the rain severely hampered us and we ended up with about 2 days of work time to complete the massive piece. Thanks to the 4 impromptu assistants who stepped in to help on Sunday afternoon, we all pitched in and made this happen!
This work was all chalk. We used a base of tempera and water for the white, but everything else was chalk on the street. Most of the other art that you see at this size is either paint or a combination of paint and chalk. Chalk is more labor intensive, but the result is much more spectacular.
Here are some links to more photos:
- Here is a link to some photos of the event, including a great one from above near the end of the process http://instagram.com/srqchalk
- There are also more on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151984912673788.1073741831.115589218787&